Thursday, August 1, 2013

#1 10 Yard Fight


Apparently the Super Bowl team consists of girls. Or maybe they just really love purple and pink. Nothing hurts more than losing to a team dressed in pink!


Title:10 Yard Fight
Year:1985
Publisher:Nintendo
Developer:Irem


Let me begin this by saying, I hate sports games. I never liked them, besides NFL Blitz and racing games, or wii sports. Outside that, I was never good at them, at all.

And what better way to start than with...a sports game. Apparently the very first football game on the NES as well, and a launch title. I know this was 1985, amd the NES was new, but man, the game plays and looks like something on a Tiger Electronics handheld game.

The game is simple. Get the ball, score touchdowns. Make it to the 1st down line so you can keep the ball. The cpu cheats like hell, and thats probably because its so simple minded. They act like their sole programming is to follow the ball (they chase after it when you kick a field goal) they can run faster than you and tackle farther than you. But again, they are very simple minded.

The computer taught me something too. Tackling up the screen is faster than running. And the tracking is so horrible that your physical screen position moves up slower than down, even if it doesnt mean your field position moves slower/faster. Standing in one place only moved your position on the field, not the screen.

Passing is very hit or miss. 9/10 times your pass will be intercepted, except side passes, which are actually useful for getting the ball away from the defense.
The cpu knows this too, but made forward passes too often, and 9/10 times my guys would intercept. All 3 touchdowns i made were because of intercepts

After learning the game mechanics in all of 5 minutes the game became overly easy, repetative, but slightly rewarding. It became, hike the ball, pass outside, run like hell, dodge obvious tackles, first down, touchdown, repeat. Super Bowl difficulty became childs play, but im sure it makes for a decent 2 player game.

Its not that its a bad game, its just not a good game



I Beat the Super Bowl! Wheres my damn trophy?! Also "your are"

Rating:D
Difficulty:1/10
Completion Time:20-30 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, finally found your blog! I'd like to subscribe, but as of now, I can't. You should check the blogger settings and add a subscribe button. Keep it up and Godspeed on your own quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found it! I just started it up as you can see so ill have to dig around the settings some. I actualky just beat 1942 this morning so ill have my game play review up sometime tonight.

    Reading your blog has me excited, and frightened about some of these games coming up. On one hand, there are some great titles, but many many more...truly dreadful ones as well.

    ReplyDelete